Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Your last day to live...

This may be an uncomfortable topic to some of you, but the reality is, death happens.

A former student of mine died last summer right before school started. I was able to go in and copy and paste her writing submissions into a word document that I was able to print and give to her mother. Although I knew the writings would probably make her cry, the mother wrote me a letter expressing how grateful she was to know that her daughter would have wanted to spend her last day on earth with her mother.

Writing situation: Today is the last day of your life.

Writing direction: Explain how you want to spend the last day of your life. Please be respectful of others when writing your response.

27 comments:

sj100 said...

If it were my last day to live it would be very special to me. I wouldn't want to die a painful death all I would want is to be surrounded by the ones I love. I would have a nice "going away" party it would be in France, Italy, and Spain and have all of my favorite foods. Music would be blasting from my favorite band and I would be singing with them this party would be so awesome everyone would forget that I am about to die! When it is time for me to go I would dig my own grave climb in it and wait...just wait...once I go the party would continue the last thing I would want is people being sad. I hope that I wont die soon and that this paper jinxed me but if it does I want you to bring m dead body over to France, Italy, and Spain and have a big party for me!

Anonymous said...

My last day on earth would be sad. But i would want to spend it wih all my friends and family, i would definately need my main family and bestfriends the most.I would rent out a big party bus but i would probably need two, and we would go everywhere like Figi an we would lay on the beach,go scuba diving, definaltely go tubing, boating,and jetskiing, and get really tan and then we would go to like somewhere cold and its snowing and roll around in the snow, of coarse we wouldnt be able to drive to all the places with my party bus so once we got off are plane we would have a party bus waiting for us!
I would want to go skydiving, bunjie jumping,definately go to the mall of america and go in every store. It would be hard to fit all this in one day but i would somehow manage to. Then when i died i would be happy and tan!

jb100 said...

If today was my last day to live I would spend time with my family and friends. I love being with my family and friends. I would want to just hang out at home and enjoy the time I had left. I also would want to be at the softball feild because that is what I like doing best!

MB100 said...

If today was my last day to live i would want to spend it with my family. I would want to sopend it wiuth my family becasue they are the ones that made my life possible. they are the ones who have gaven me everything that i have now. They have all loved me so well and i would want to sopend it with them becasue they respect me for who i am not what they see like most teenagers. SO if i died right now i would want to sopend that day with my family.

ft100 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ft100 said...

If I only had one day to live I would probably see all my loved ones, obviously, but aside from that I would probably go to my favorite place ever, only Cole knows were that is... After that I would fly to the highest altittude possible and jump out of the plane and enjoy the fall.

tm100 said...

If i were to die today I would say I loved my family. After I did that i would do everything I have ever wanted to do. I would got to the best theme park, I would also go skydiving, and towards the end I would hang out with my family.

cp100 said...

If today was my last day on earth I would want to spend it with my friends and family. I would want to have a good time. And visit my fovorite places and go see my favorite things. Like going to australia and other countries. And I would want to not think of death or dieing. But if I had my choice of dieing I would want to jump out of a plane and 26,000 feet without a parachuete. So my last sites would be extraordinarily awesome!!!

de100 said...

On my last day of my life I would have a choice to be bad or good.When the last day of your life comes it is to hard to know how you will act.The last day and you don't know how you die.If you know your going to die you will act like everyone is going to get you.
I would try to act like it's a normal day.I'll till my mom that I'm going to die somehow.Go to my dad house and see what he'll say to me.I would be having a hard time seeing what time I'm going to die.I would act so bad only to have some fun and not be bored.If I act good life would have no meaning when it's your day.
If I die it better be by a freaking gun in my head.That bullet better go right through my head.If not by a gun it better be by a sword.The sword is the best way to die by.
THE LAST DAY WILL SUCK TO MUCH MAN

DM100 said...

If it were my last day to live I would spend as much time with my family and friends as I could and would esspiacally like to spend in my home in africa and walk around 175 acre farm and eat some of my favorite foods like milk tart, chicken and lots of homemade yummy recipes my mom and I came up with.
I would also like to concere my fears like snakes and heights (I would go skydiving for that one). I also would like to drive the fastest car in the world, climb mount everest and would like to read the biggest novel in the world

jg300 said...

If it was the last day of my life I would want to spend it with my best friends. Mikal, Shannon, Xavier, Cody, Taylor, and Guy. There is no one in the whole world I would rather see when I die than them.

jg300 said...

and we would also go to the beach and have the best day ever.

EP300 said...

Oh god! 2012 came early! Just kidding, if this was my absolute last day to live then I would spend it with all my closest friends and family. And I would live the rest of the day to it's max.

After I came home from school, I would ride my bike to everyone's house.. EVEN ANDREWS! ([lol] he lives like right next to me? that's why it's funny?) no matter how far away everytone was. I was do you crazy things that aren't legal or something. (lol) I would see everyone and tell everyone exactly how I feel about them. Hurtful or not.

I would live the rest of that day to it's complete max. I would spend all of my money on stupid girst and starbucks and run around crazy on the beach. I would spend every waking moment with my dad that I could. I wouldn't tell him that this was my last day to live.. that would just hurt him. I wounldn't want to hurt him anymore than that. =]

Today's my last day to live 1 day less. Tomorrow's that start of a new day. I'll be one day older. =] So mature.

km300 said...

If this way my last day to live, in the morning I would gather all of the people I love, my mom, brothers, and best friends. We would go skydiving adn parasailing. Well most likely I will, becasue they might be to scard.

After that, I would go shopping with my mom. Make sure she knows how much I love her! i would spend all my money on her, no matter if she let me or not. We would go out to lunch, and have fun.

Then after that, I would call all the people that mean anything to me. I would tell them what I think of them. Even if they don't like it.

Kiki said...

If today was my last day to live I would be very sad. I would go to the mall with my family and a couple friends, Alex and Anna, and just shop my heart out. I would want to go out for lunch and get my favorite, Olive Garden. I would want to go one an air plane with my family and my two friemds to Paris. I would have the time of my live. I would be a crazy and do things I normally wouldn't do just to say I did it. I would want to spend my last day at my house and before I went to bed I would say my good byes and cry myself to sleep and die in my sleep.

as300 said...

If it was my last day to live, I would spend it with my mom. I don't give her much credit for all the things she does for me even though I should. And I would spend my last seconds saying how I'm sorry that I never her said thank you for all the things she's ever done for me. I would actually spend it with my entire family but her in particular because she deserves some better attention.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cierra babiee 400 said...

if it was my last day to live it wood be sad but also relaxing cause id get to see my dad and my two grandpas but i wood like to have a nice day with the family like my mom my grandma and the rest of my family and thats how i would spend my last day to live!

Anonymous said...

If it was my last day to live,that's a hard one.I would hang out with my family,and spend most of my time with my mom and dad.And hang out with my cousins jimmy and louie that are 40 and 56 years old.They are so funny and make fun of drinking companys.I would hang out with friends and family and tell how funny my life was and of sad it was.But I would not really care though if I died the next day.

Mandy said...

Everyone wants to hang out with their closest family and friends! But if it were my last day to live I would do everything I want to do. My last day would kinda be like the Bucket List movie, where they do everything they always dreamed of doing!That is what i would want to do. Sure i would love to be with family and so called "closest" friends. But it would be to depressing for me. They would have looks on their faces like "WOW i can't believe she is dieing. I would ski diving and kiss every HOT guy i see when im walking down the road! I would spend every last cent of my money I saved for something important like a house or a new car or some fancy diamond ring i had my eye on and spend it on something i always wanted like one of those giant monsters or maybe go to sea world. But my last day would be jammed pack and I would try to do everything i wanted to do. Unless my condition involved broken legs or my skull crashed by a huge iron ball I think i would be able to do everything i wanted to.
But hopeful my life wont end soon and i will be able to do everything i want to like get married and have a kid and travel the world AGIAN!!!!!

jp200 said...

if it was my last day to live i would be at the bar drinking because i was so depressed
lol. No im kidding i would do all the things i haven't dont yet kinda like the bucket list.

Anonymous said...

If this was the last day of my life
I would spend it with my family in
Atlanta ,Georgia seeing all of the sights to see : the aquarium,stone mt., ect. and when I fall into an internal slumber I will remember my last day and the happy memorys of my past life......And at my funeral if I could talk to my family one last time from the grave I would say,"Dont greeve over me , be joyas that I am now living in the enternal paridise,heaven..."

Quote: "the last enmy to be defeated is death...."

P.S. sorry this sounds so depressing...

Anonymous said...

If today were my last day I would want to spend it as if it was the longest day of my life. it would be very hard to think about what to do with this day. I think that I would go skydiving. Up in the air feeling all that wind that I would never get to see again....
I would not cry one bit during my last day and I would hope my family would follow me. I would not like my last day to be remembered like that .But knowing that you are going to die would be much better then not knowing. Anyway I would also go to a church and pray and also go to confession so I could get everything off my shoulders .I would give all my money to a charity and I would enter a hotdog eating contest. I know my mom would want to make me as happy as possible so one thing I would like to do with my mom is go everywhere and take ALOT of pictures because I know that is what she would want to do. Now with my dad I would want to go four wheeling and anything that evolves extreme sports. Dying is a very sad thing to think about but as the song says, " live like you were dying." and I intend to.

Anonymous said...

If it were my last day to live i would spend it by talking and writing to all my old friends and my new friends and my family members. then i would try to make as much time with my family here in florida as i could but i would really like to be with my big sister krystal. she always made me feel better when i was in a bad mood or i was sick. also she makes me laugh a lot. plus she would think of silly and idiodic things we should do at random places. also i wouldnt be all gloomy because i would get to visit my dog in heaven and other people that i have lost like my great grandma who i was named after. and i wouldnt let my family be gloomy either i would make them party or tale us somewhere or just don something that we all would enjoy.

Unknown said...

"Today is your last day to live!! Live it up!" If I heard those words come from someones mouth, I may drop to my knees and tear up a little bit, but then I would relize that since this is my last day I have to infact "live it up". First I would go do all the things iI would want to do if there were no circumstances, like do skydiving, cuz I wont be scared becuase well, im gonna die anyways. Then idgo break some rules, but not any ordanary rules, but the law! Id go down to the store at the end of my street, and id stand there and chew some bubble gum, and laugh, becuase theres a no loitering sign above me.Then id throw my gum wrapper on the ground and laugh becuase i litered. I spit my gum out onto the ground, then go into the store, and steal another peice! Then id take my dog for a walk and let it do its buisness, and not clean up after him!!Mwuahaha! I know im evil! But then for the real fun,id go steal a really fast car and have the time of my life! But first, id go to a 7/11 and pour a slurpie, and then say i don't have enough money to pay for it and dump it out, thus wasteing slurpie stuff!! Mwuahhaa! Anyways back to the car, id go do donuts and go really fast down streets, and then hope that the cops wouldn't ruin it all, although it wouldn't matter, I just don't wanna die in a police cell. But if the cops didn't catch me then id try to go find George Lopez and tell him hes not funny, and then find Carmen Electra and kiss her alot:P Then finally, id go home, tell my mom what I did, tell her that it was my last day alive, and eat a great meal with the family, and spend my last hours with them.

"Ring, ring, ring. Buzz buzz buzz" "shut up you dumb alarm clock, gosh.." "Ohh snap, its time for school.." (on my way walking to school i think to myself) "Wow, what a crazy dream..it felt so real, o well, good thing it wont come anytime soon!" (As I aproach the school, an elder man grabs me and says something to me.) and runs away. (I stand there as if I were just told something that would change my whole life, and I did hear something that would change my life! Well the little life I still had, infact the elder man had said, "Today is your last day to live!! Live it up!" And I was scared to death!)

CL200 said...

My last day to live would be special. To sit back on and realize what I first did to the thing I did last night. I would want to be surrounded by the ones I love truly; my family and friends. I would rather be cremated than a burial because I wouldn't want my family to go and put flowers on my grave and sit and cry. I would want to be put a sleep rather than my family watch me suffer. My last day would be to sit and look at pictures from when I was born to my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids, because I know I have their whole life ahead to watch them in heaven.

MGE100 said...

If it was my last day on earth I would want to spend it with my parents and my brother.I would go out to eat at my favorite places so i can gett my last tastes.Do some shopping.Have a lot of fun and party.I would want to meet some new people, take some really good pictures.I just would want to have a good time and be with my family.