Prompt:
Should old people be forced to go to nursing homes?
Pick a position (yes or no) and defend it using support, details and/or examples.
Suggestion: compose in a word document then copy and paste to the comment box.
Also, please use proper punctuation, grammar and the best spelling you can.
Post is due by Wednesday morning, September 3.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
82 comments:
Yes,i think that they should be forced to go to nursing homes because what if they can't rememeber their own house keys...they get locked out of their house if they dont have a spear.Another example is if the person lives alone and is not capable to do everyday house work.this is why i say that they should be forced to live in nursing homes.
I think that old people should go to a nursing home or stay with a family member at a certain age. Not because I hate old people because they drive slow on the road ( witch most of them do) because they are getting to an age where they can't do all the thing they did when they were younger. For example their memory is getting old and it isn't thinking as fast as it once did. What happened if one day they are in the middle of cooking and someone calls, they might forget that they're cooking and becoming distracted on the phone and then they die in a fire. It's just for their own safety.
No I do not think that elderly people should be forced to go to a nursing home. They should be aloud to remain in their home where they have security. It should be a choice if they decide to go to a nursing home. If the family has a power of attorney on the elderly person, then the person may be forced to move.
I think that older people around the age of 60-until they die should be placed in a nursing home. When a person reaches a certain age thy are incapable to do daily objectives such as going to the store to buy food or vacuuming the floor. Some elderly get all timers, which is when they forgot about basic things and cant remember what they were going to do or supposed to do. Over the summer I went to a nursing home, to get volunteer hours. The older people there seem to enjoy being there. If the family of the elderly can't a ford to send them to a nursing home then they should at least stay with a relative. My grandma lives with us and I enjoy hearing her stories and playing checkers with us. Also,if older people where married then it would be ok but it will not be ok if the husband or wife if very ill and is on his or her death bed. This is what I think about having older people being forced into nursing homes.
I think that old people should have a choice untill they turn 70.
I think this because after the age of 70, some old people are very forgetfull and ''not all there.''
Over all,i think old people should be placed in nursing homes because most of them live alone and can't do certain things for themselves.
I think that older people should go to nursing homes or a family/close friends house. If they are thae ages of 70 and older, because they may not know where anything is. Then somthing may happen to them and nobody would know.
well i think if there medicaly impaired then yes but my grandpa is like 83 and hes in perfect shape and if he drives fine and can remember everything then theres no reason but i have a great grandpa whos 97 and he shud be in a nursing home cus hes got alstimerz and he cant hear ,drive,c very wellz,or even go to the potty corectly then he shud b but ya sop there
I think that we should leave it up to the old or elderly.Because if they feel fine or if they dont want to go I think that it should be their decision.But if they are not in the right state of mind then we should nudge to them about it to go. But also if they have family or friends that they should help out with them.Again if they are mentaly sick or suffer from a life-threatning disease or just sick that they should be there.
Before I can decide if old people should be forced into nursing homes, I would need to know this: are they sick or not?
If the person was sick, alone and unable to care for himself (or herself), it might not be a bad idea to go to a nursing home. In a home, a person would receive nursing care, proper nutrition and have contact with others. My one grandmother had to go to a home because she had stopped making good decisions when it came to her health.
On the other hand, I don't know that "old people" should be forced to go to nursing homes if there is nothing wrong with them. Just because someone is "old" (and age is just a number), doesn't mean they are ready to kick back and wait for death.
I know many people in their 80s and 90s who are very active and live alone or with someone. I also know some 80 and 90 year old people who aren't in the best of health, but they have good minds and make every effort to live life to the fullest every day.
Now, to pick a position:
No, I don't think old people should be forced into nursing homes. Many seniors would rather live out their days surrounded by their own things in their home. To remove them from that home would probably hasten a visit from the grim reaper.
No,they should not be forced to go to nursing homes because if they feel fit and don't have some kind of illness they can stay at home.If they can still care about themself.They should have an emergency help system in case they have serious problems.
No I don’t think old people should go to nursing homes. They were young at once too, and I don’t think that they want to go to a stinky and unhealthy nursing home. Just because we don’t want to deal with them doesn’t mean that they don’t have a life too. I know I would not want to be put there because it’s to secluded. They get to see the same people every day, they don’t get to see the outside world, and all they would do is sit in chairs or sleep in their beds. If I was an old person I would want to work out and have activities to do. Even if you pay money for a retirement home it’s still not going to be that great. I say SAVE THE OLD PEOPLE! <3 (they do have lives.)
I think that they should have a choice. I mean if they have a disease like alzheimers(if thats how you spell it) or if they are sick then they should be put in a nursing home before they hurt themselves. But if they're healthy and active, they should have a choice whether or not they should go there or not.
My grandparents are active and play golf, run four miles on the tredmill every day, and eat healthy. And they are above 70 years old. Also, it depends if they are sick or just plain fine!
And, the government and nobody in the world, has the right to to whatever they want with your life. It's your life, so take control!
Elderly people should also if they have relatives in the area or near them live with them,if they and their family should decide and talk about if the old person should live with them or not. If the family wants you to and you do to, that's fine.
My Grandmother who lives in Michigan, my grandpa and her husband just died for cancer in his colon. She is all by herself with the help of my mom's brother, but It's still her choice whether or not she should go there.
In conclusion, I would say no, they shouldn't force the elderly people into nursing homes. They have a choice and it's their right if they want to or not. It's their choice so give them the power to make their decision by themselves before they run out of any life and power to decide.
I believe that elderly people should have a choice if they want to go to a nursing home. They should choose for themselves of what they should do before they "retire permanately". My grandparents for instance go all around the country seeing natural wonders. So no, they shouldn't be forced into nursing homes.
I think elderly people should have a choice in whether they want to go to nursing homes or not. If these elderly people have a critical condition then yes, but if there fine the should'nt be forced to go!
My grandfather has alzheimer's and can't remember anything. Yes, it's sad and critical so i think he should go to a nursing home.
So really what I'm trying to say is that these elderly people should have a choice unless their condition is critical enough to need direct attention.
I think forced is a strong word, however I do belive that if a person gets to an age where they need help they should go.Because the old people these days are very forgetfull.They all ways drive slow when they are out and about.They just need to get off the road and stay home and let someone else do things for them.Also when you call an older person they allways yell into the phone so then you got to yell back.HAHA.I guess it would be better for us and better for them if they went to a nursing home because if they need help there will be someone for them.<333
Wow! Your posts just keep getting better and better!
I'm really impressed with the support I'm seeing! Good job!
No people should not be forced into living or going to a nursing home because if they have a good family who helps them a lot or has the family live with them. Some people may need to go to a nursing home because they might need medical assistance or even medicine or oxygen. Some elderly people may also want to go to a nursing home because of their health or living conditions. That is what I think about people going to a nursing home.
Yes I think that old people should be forced to go to nursing homes or stay with a family member because what if they dont remeber anyhting when they get that old. Like for example I think that some accidents are with old people because they drive so slow and half of them cant even see over the stearing wheel. They should be forced into nursing homes that way other younger people can take care of them because some old people cant even take care of them selves.Ole people should stay with a family member if that dont go to the nursing home because there old and need someone tot ake care of them,
I think that old people shoulden't be forced to go to nursing homes. Old people have lives too and who wants to be sitting around all...day long in a nursing home with sick people? Not me! Old people should be treated with respect,their family should go to their homes where they live and care for them there.Thats where they are most comfortable!
If they don't have anybody living with them then they should go because, they would not have to worry about a thing.
i think that they should have a choice because mabe they want to live life to the fullest and not be traped in a nursing home or chose to live with a loved one i mean i think that it's mean to make them be put in a nursing home they can leave their food is chosin for them and if they wanted to vist loved ones they can't if you went on a trip and left he or she would call and call from the home and what if something was wrong you wouldn't know but you could let them chose and they could call from a number you gave them plus those visting hours you can't call vist them till so and so hours so that is why i think they should have a choice.
yes i think they should go to nursing homes because they might hurt them selves and will have no one around to help!!!!!!!
yes i think they should be placed in nursing homes cause they might hurt themselves and no one will be around to help them!!!
Well, when older people hit a certain age, they start loosing their memory more and they start to take things slower. For instance: when they're driving.
Even so, they should not be FORCED to go into a nursing home. It should be their choice. But if they are at a point where they can't make the decision themselves, then they should be put into the home.
But if they're active and healthy, then they should be able to just stay home and do what they normally do. If they're healthy but starting to not remember things as much, then there should be someone that takes care of them and watches out for them so nothing happens... but not the home. These people still have their lives to live.
No, I do not think old people should be forced to go to nursing homes. Old people have as much rights as us, your still have freedom if your past 60 years old. They have new technology where old people can be safe and be alone, like Life Alert. A lot of seniors are war veterans too they fought to defend your freedom and there's to. That is why old people shouldn't be forced to live in nursing homes.
No, I don't think old people should be forced into nursing homes. Old people took care of us once why shouldn't we repay the favor, they took us into there homes. Besides shouldn't it be there choice if they want to go or not? And if there healthy can't they take care of them selves?
no they're able to take care of themselfs. if someone took care of them they would be rendered helpless and couldn't self tasks.
(+_+)
Ok well first i need 2 no if they r sick or not becuas my great grand mother lived all alone untill she was 90 years old and got conjestive heart failier!!
But they my oter greatgrand mother had alztimers and had 2 live with my greadma and my grama had 2 sleep on the floor in front of her bed room door just to make sure that she didnt leae and soo they put her in a nursing ome but did visit her daily and there she later died !
Soooo i think that unless they r sick and cant do every day things by there selfs then no they shoud not be fored 2 go!
No, i do not think that old people should be forced into going to nursing homes, unless they were extremely sick. Just because someone is old, doesn't mean that they aren't healthy or able to take care of themselves. It's their choice. How would you like it if you were put in a nursing home? Think of all the uncomfortable and depressing surroundings. Even though nurses would take good care of you, it would get tiresome laying in bed everyday, not being in the real world, and basically waiting for death.
I think senoir citzens should have a choice but they should also have someone there to take care of the senoir citzens.
Yes, I think people that have reached the age of about 70 should be put in nursing homes. It would help make room for new couples buying houses, and it might even lower the cost of a house. Also it would be safer for the senior citizens if they had an accident. They would have what they need all ready for them.
I think that old peole should go to a nursing home or stay with family member at a certain age. Because when they get old they stop remebering things. Also they drive relly slow on the road, its better for tham any ways for their safty and they wont get lonely. Thats why i think old peole shuld be in nursing homes or with family.
I think that they should be able to choose if they want to go into a nursing home or not. If the people are able to take care of them selvs and are fit then they should be able to live were they want. Also to be safe then the should have emergency help system to help them out if they need it.
I think old people should go to nursing homes because they need to be tooken good care of. For example if old people live by them selves they could be cooking something, forget about it, and burn the house down. At nursing homes old people could get the care that they need so they dont get ill and die. When old people loose their hearing and sight, then they would know when they would need to be taken care of. For example they could trip and fall because they couldn't see.
no i dont think that oler people should be forced into a nursing home unless they are deadly sick i think just because they are old doesnt mean that they cant take care of themselves
therefore i dont think that older people should be forced into a nursing home because nobody should be forced to do anything.
No,I think old people should have a choice because when I get older I wouldn't want to be an in nursing home! But if they can't take care of themselfs then I think they should be in a nursing home.
No,I do not think that older people should go to a nursing home unless they need the special care or you family lives in a different state but if your family lives in the same state and the family member can take care of themselve then they should have the chose if they want to be in a nursing home or not.
I have a great-great grandmother whose age is now 100....
at that age she does need to be in a nursing home because she is just to old.But in different cases there are old people that maybe close to that age and are capable of doing normal every day things and not to have the worry of falling down and needing constant supervision.
Yes and no.No is because the old people that are very useful in the wolrd that people care about shouldn't.My family shouldn't have to only if they need to.Yes is because the old people that get in accident with their cars or make other people crash in to each other.most people who care for the elderly alot will tell them to go in because they need it but will refuse to go.These are some of the reason why.
No i do not think old people should be forced to go in nursing homes. If the person is sick with a disease,or has memory loss, then i do not think it would be such a bad thing.
If the person has a disease, then they could get hurt or even die with out warning. If they were not in an area that anyone could get to them in time to potentially save their lives. But you should remember that it can't be an infectious disease beacuse then they will infect orther people of the nursing home.
I have a grandmother who had three strokes. The fisrt two did not affect her, but the most recent one did. She remembers everything that happened before the stroke, but nothing after. For example, if she meets a person on day, then the next day, or even that same day, she wont remember who they were. Luckily, she lives with my grandpa, so she dosn't need a nusrsing home. But if she didn't live with him, she would beacuse she just walks into the middle of the street when cars are going by. then it is dangerous for the old person.
So in conclusion, the decison to put an elderly person in a nursing home is completely up to the person, unless it is absolutely mandatory.
yes i think that they should go there because old people take to much space in the house
no i dont think they should they have the rite to do what they want.
I think the old people should do what they want they should decide for themselves its not our say of there lives:)
I think that they should not be in nursing homes because i thought America was the land of the free it is holding you against your will. It is just not right. if they are very sick and have no family then it can be their choice if they want to go there.
No, old people should not be forced to go to nursing homes if they dont want to. But if they are dieing and cant do anything by themselfs then they should get some help or go.
No, I don’t think old people should go to nursing homes unless it’s the only choice they got. Going to nursing homes in my opinion should be the last and only choice in my book. If they want to live out there lives, the way they want to, then let them go, let them make the choice. Only if they have bad conditions that need to be taken care of in a special way then that’s a different story but other then that, it’s there decision. It’s not like it’s the law that when you reach a certain age you have to move into a nursing home. If that were a law then Florida in my opinion would be very sad and gloomy. Seeing this happen to me once is a life changing deal. My grandpa was dying very slowly due to brain cancer, but before when he got his first surgery then the second, I knew in my heart that everything was going to get better, but it didn’t, it got worse but no one knew until we saw some signs like his right arm getting to be paralyzed. He soon moved to a nursing home, which I didn’t like but that was the only choice we had at the moment. There’s more to the story but it has nothing to do with this topic. Anyway, I think that it doesn’t matter how old you are, just live your life and remember, you only live once.
I believe that everyone has there rights that they are entitled to thats what makes us the land of the free. The reason that old people started AARp is to revolt against the people putting them in homes. Go old people!!!
I beleive that it should be up to the "old folks" if they need assistant caring, or if they would choose to live on their own. Beacuse everyone has differnet opinons, such as " old people cause car crashes, they are slooooowwwww " but it should not be up to us kids or even middle aged adults to decide if old people should be "put away" thats being predujust in a way because if thre were to be a vote on this topic and it effected anyone over the age of 75 then those who live fine on their own whould be totaly put out.. its just not right. o and i agree with Jordan... GO OLD PEOPLE!! WOOT WOOT
I LOVEEE OLD PEOPLEE!They are people too so they should decide what they want to do, if they want to go to a nursing home then thats there choice they decide what they want to do.We dont control them so they should be freee as a bird.
UNDERWOOD OUT<3
Yes, I belive that older people should go to nursing homes because if they lived alone and something happened to them then no one would be able to help them or save them if it was that bad. So older people should go to nursing homes if it could help keep them alive.
I think it depends on how the elderly feel if they belive they can't take care of them self anymore they should go with a family member or a nursing home but if they jump out of bed everyday feeling great they should stay Well it is not really our choice if the should stay or go but I think they should stay.
Hmm.. I think old people should be forced into nursing homes if they have any physical, mental, or medical problems. But mostly, if they're like forever old and they live alone. And if they're going broke, they need to have food, and electricity and stuff.
But for the most part, if they're healthy and fine and can still drive places with no problems I don't think they need to be FORCED!
But also with the driving thing going on, I really think senior citizens should take maybe a new driving test a year to make sure they're still good drivers so nothing happens to them or they go the speed limit and know how to drive. xD I hate that.. especially in old people central, Florida. =/ Oh well..
No, many people misjudge older people and think they are not capable to do everyday task when this is mostly untrue. My grandpa, Frank has ahlzheimers and is quite capable of keeping his house clean and supplied. If they really do need help with things than yes they should go, but not all older people are incapable of doing daily tasks.
I think that old people should go to nursing homes if they have some medical issues or they need attention at all times because the average family is very busy and can not take of someone at all times. I also think if you have more than one older in your house than I definatly recomend puting them in nursing homes.
I think that old people should go to nursing homes if they have some medical issues or they need attention at all times because the average family is very busy and can not take of someone at all times. I also think if you have more than one older in your house than I definatly recomend puting them in nursing homes.
Haha. Well Frank! Your grandpa is apparently amazing then. And yeah, if they're capable of doing everything for themselves, then fine. It doesnt bother me it's just when something happens they should be taken care of.
I think that elderly people should not be forced to go to nursing homes. How would you like staying in a room all day? Not being able to see how the world is changing? It's like locking a helpless animal in a cold dark cage! Maybe they have stuff they want to do before they die or they want to be able to visit their grandchildren. The food there is probably adiquite, but who wants to eat meatloaf every Monday? Not me! Old people should have a say in where they live. It's like segregating old people from the rest of us. It's just not right!
Old ppl shouldn't be FORCED to go to a nurcing home.They should jut go if they want.The only thing they should be forced to do is take a driving test every 5 years because,they drive very slow and about 4 out of 5 car accidents are by old ppl.Also they should have a memory test evry other month .But no i don't think they should be FORCED in to a nurcing home.
Yes, I think old people should be forced to llive in nursing homes. Now Im not saying every old person needs to be forced, just the ones that are unfit and uncapable of living by themselves. If they are unfit, then they cant do everyday house work. Like what if one of their water pipes brake and they try to fix it themselves? They could easily get hurt. Or what if they live someone where the rode can get covered in ice? They could easily lose control of the wheel and cause even more people to get hurt including themselves. If they were in a nursing home them they would be taken care of, they wouldnt have to worry about things brking, cooking for themselves, or shopping for food, or ever having to worry about hurting other people by making an easy mistake. That is why I think older people should be forced to live in a nursing home.
I do think that elderly people should go to nursing homes,because most elderly people cant do much for themselves. Most elderly people need others to come over and help them. Or they pay people to mow thier lawns, but if they went to a nursing home they wouldn't have to worry about what their yard looked like or need people to help them around the house. Alot of elderly people cant do alot on their own, but think about it why wouldn't an elderly person want to go to a nursing home? People feed them, poeple come to visit, heck sometimes the assistants wipe thier butts. >XD
But if an elderly person were home and fell and couldn't get up,and didn't have life alert(lol),they could lay there for awhile and maybe die.=[
i think old people should be forced to nursing homes cause they can not take care of themselves and if one them get hurt by something in there house then it could get worse and it could keep happening at least if there in a nursing home someone can take care of them and satisfy all your needs.
I think old pepole sould go to nusing homes becaus what if thay slip and fall and thay can't get to the phone and nobody nows what happend to them.
I think old pepole sould go to nusing homes becaus what if thay slip and fall and thay can't get to the phone and nobody nows what happend to them.
I think old pepole sould go to nusing homes becaus what if thay slip and fall and thay can't get to the phone and nobody nows what happend to them.
I do not think old people should be forced into nursing homes, because some can still support theselves. I also don't think they should be forced into nursing homes because there people too.
No, I don't think old people should be forced in a nursing home because some people are still in good health when they are 70. Some people still have the ability to take care of themselves. If they're in a nursing home they can't work or get out as much.
No,i dont think old people should live in a retirement home because some people can still taek tcare of them self when there 80.Also u dont get out alot if u live in a retirement home.
I think old people should be able to choose where they live for their last years.I choose this because it is not right to make people live somewhere they might not want to live.Even if they do drive slowly on the road.People might want to pass away in ther own home. Never know.
I think that elderly people that are over 70 should be forced to go to a nursing home so they can stay
healthy and so they don't die. But if they live with someone special like family than they should be able to stay if they want to because their family can take care of them with love. If more elderly people was forced to go to a nursing home than the usa would have a greater population than now.
I also think that if your younger
than 70 you have a choice unless you are extremely sick than you need medical help. But if you are under 70 you might live with your husband or friends and don't want to leave them. You might even still might have a job or a kid living with you.
b
I think old people sould go in a home because they can't live on there own, some get sick and rely on other people to help them and in a home they can. Old people in a home don't need to pay for there food so they get free food everyday. They can get there own room instead of a house.
yes,because old people would probely fill a whole lot better then us kids keeping them up at night with r loud music and partys and stuff.
I think that they should go to nursing homes.it would be better for us bc we would not have to worry about the care accsedens
and that way they will have better care for them.=]
I think that they should go to nursing homes.it would be better for us bc we would not have to worry about the care accsedens
and that way they will have better care for them.=]
Closed! Turn it in on paper if you haven't blogged.
Post a Comment